Today, Park City’s Hearth and Hill is sharing its recipe for Korean Fried Chicken. Chef Jordan Harvey has outlined the steps to making this entree, including how to make the seasoned maple syrup, Kim Jong Chicken Sauce, the dredge, and the potato scallion waffles. When we dined in this restaurant last January, Ira sampled the dish and enjoyed the combination of flavors. Here’s a link to my story, First-timer’s Guide to Park City.
After you try this recipe, it would be great to hear your feedback.
Ingredients for Korean Fried Chicken
- 4- 4 Ounce Brined Chicken Breasts
- 3 cups Dredge
- 1.5 cups Kim Jong Chicken Sauce
- 2 each Potato Scallion Waffle
- 1 Cup Seasoned maple syrup
Steps to Prepare Korean Fried Chicken
- Dredge the chicken breast in the dry dredge mixture a couple hours before cooking to allow it to become a good coating.
- When ready to prepare, pre-heat oil in a high sided vessel.
- Carefully lower the breast individually and fry chicken breast until internal temperature
reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully lift out the breasts; Allow to drain on a rack or a paper towel.
- While still hot, coat cooked breast generously with the warmed sauce and lift to prevent
the sauce from pooling on the plate.
- Present the sauced chicken over the top of a warm potato waffle.
- Serve with slaw or salad on the side
- Include seasoned maple syrup.
Ingredients for Seasoned Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Ginger
Steps to Prepare Seasoned Maple Syrup
- Combine all of the ingredients in a sauce pot.
- Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat and then cool.
- Serve at room temperature
Ingredients for Kim Jong Chicken Sauce
- 2 Cups Gojuchnag
- 1 Cup Lime Juice
- 1.2 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1/2 Cup Kimchi
Steps to Prepare Kim Jong Chicken Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients
- Blend with either a blender or hand mixer until smooth.
Ingredients for Dredge
- 3 Cups Potato Starch or Corn Starch
- 1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Cup Hot Pepper Powder or Chile Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
Steps to Prepare Dredge
- Combine ingredient in bowl and whisk until evenly distributed
Ingredients for Potato Scallion Waffle
- 1 Medium Potato, Peeled and Grated
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Spring onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
Steps to Prepare Potato Scallion Waffle
- Whisk all ingredients together until evenly incorporated.
- Cook in a waffle maker per the machine’s instructions for time and temperature.
Do you want to learn more about Hearth & Hill? Read Brooks Kirchheimer’s interview.
Did you try this recipe?
If so, Tag @thetravelingbornsteins on Instagram and hashtag it #toppickrecipe
When Sandy isn’t trekking or writing in the Colorado, she is traveling. She has visited more than 40 countries and lived as an international teacher in Bangalore, India. Sandy’s award-winning book, May This Be the Best Year of Your Life, is a resource for people contemplating an expat lifestyle and living outside their comfort zone.
Sandy shares her lifestyle and travel experiences with international and domestic online sites and print media. She has contributed stories to Hemispheres, Destinations Magazine, KUHL’s Born in the Mountain blog, Grand Magazine, Wandering Educators, Golden Living, AARP, Hadassah magazine, Localliz, One Travel, Miles Away, Canadian Jewish News, Getting On Travel, Far and Wide, Colorado Parent, Traveler Confidential, Family Circle- Momster, and others.
Leave a Reply